Types of hosting solutions
A hosting solution involves storing and/or sharing given content on a web server managed by a hosting supplier. There are different groups of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's survey them. In this way, you can choose what you need, based on whether you'd like to build a website, emails, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by certain file storage providers, which permits you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by exhibiting advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular span of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a completely untrue interpretation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would distribute the workload between autonomous bunches of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain companies offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting variant is suitable if you desire to share a vast quantity of pictures with chums or partners since the solution is usually free of charge. You will get a random link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your email box accounts. Some companies offer web space hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email solution. If you wish to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to run a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can create e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and several hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to possess as many videos as you desire without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to keep a site. To some extent, it contains all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail address accounts, upload video files, etc. At JDC Hosting, for example, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal email/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific web content solely.